Sunday, March 22, 2009

Seen & Read

The Twilight books, by Stephenie Meyer – I hope Buffy lives very far away from them. And there is Van Helsing and Blade too. . .

 The Deptford Trilogy, by Robertson Davies – I guess Robertson Davies isn’t well known here in the Philippines (or am I just out of touch with my writer friends?). Very well written, especially Fifth Business and World of Wonders.

 Babette’s Feast, by Isak Dinesen – I really believe pastors should read this short story. 

The Brothers Karamazov, by Fyodor Dostoyevsky – if you have to choose between reading Dostoyevsky or Tolstoy, go with Dostoyevsky.

 Dune, by Frank Herbert

 Taken, starring Liam Neeson and Famke Jannsen (she played Jean Grey) – good show! Liam Neeson’s wife recently died due to a skiing accident.

 7 Pounds, starring Will Smith and Rosario Dawson – good grief! Seven Pounds of what? Grief? Self pity? This is an over-acted, over-estimated, film. It has a preposterous theme: that the individual parts, i.e., Will Smith’s character’s organs, (and for the life of me, I honestly do not know how whoever thought of this thought of this) are greater than their sum. No wonder the guy committed suicide: he is not capable of facing, living with, nor telling, the truth.

 Iron Man, starring Robert Downey, Jr. and Gwyneth Paltrow – I like Gwyneth.

 The Incredible Hulk – starring Edward Norton and Liv Tyler (she played Arwen – beautifully, I might add) – hey, what can I say? I’m a kid at heart who loves comic books. I love Edward Norton when he plays these kinds of characters, i.e., grief stricken, oppressed, downtrodden, etc., like the character he played in The Illusionist. His face tells all.

 recently read: The Hammer of God, by Bishop Bo Giertz

currently reading: Come Be My Light, the diaries of Mother Teresa of Calcutta; Christ Have Mercy, by Rev. Matthew Harrison.

No comments: