Saturday, March 28, 2009

Seditious Misgivings

The Prayer of Jabez

Many people have made much of the prayer of Jabez, especially the Reformed and Born Again Christians. I have to confess, though, that from the get-go, I was leery of this booklet, and that I quickly scanned it, and confirmed my fear. Here, then, is the particular passage:

“Jabez was more honorable than his brothers; and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, "Because I bore him in pain." Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, ‘Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!’ And God granted what he asked.”

My thoughts:

> “Name it and claim it,” huh? Yes, I can see how the prosperity theologians would have a field day with this passage.
> It seems to me that we human beings quickly, naturally, think of God’s blessings as PHYSICAL, and not SPIRITUAL also. For instance, we are so quick to ask God to give us food, clothing, shelter, and other physical, earthly blessings, which God himself commands us to do; but the thing is, we so often neglect to ask God for SPIRITUAL blessings: love for all men, but especially for those of the household of faith, patience in the midst of trials, hope in the midst of despair, eagerness to hear his Word, longing to receive his Sacraments, a generous heart ready to help those in need, compassion for God’s people, steadfastness in the one true faith, boldness in our confession of the Way, the Truth and the Life.
> The passage indeed says that “God granted what he asked,” but Wilkinson immediately reasons that this is because “Jabez was more honorable than his brothers.” Hm. I remember the phrase, “Facientibus quod in se est, Deus non denegat gratiam.” To those who do the good that is in them, God cannot deny grace. It is the Roman Catholic teaching on justification. The passage did not say “because Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, God granted what he asked.” The passage says, “God granted what he asked.” Period. I think the reason God granted Jabez his petition was because God is gracious, and not because Jabez was a good man. For if God grants our petitions because of who we are, then the thief on the cross, yes! we also, would be in dire straits. We would be hopeless.
> This passage, though, is a great opportunity to clearly distinguish between Law and Gospel. God grants our petitions not because we are good, but because God is good. Once more, listen to the dear Dr. Luther as he explains this in his Catechism:

I believe that God has made me and all creatures; that He has given me my body and soul, eyes, ears, and all my members, my reason and all my senses, and still takes care of them.

He also gives me clothing and shoes, food and drink, house and home, wife and children, land, animals, and all I have. He richly and daily provides me with all that I need to support this body and life.

He defends me against all danger and guards and protects me from all evil.

All this He does only out of fatherly, divine goodness and mercy, without any merit or worthiness in me. For all this it is my duty to thank and praise, serve and obey Him.

This is most certainly true. (italics mine)

No comments: